Monday, January 5, 2009

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH BY PRESIDENT-ELECT OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA, PROFESSOR JOHN EVANS ATTA MILLS

From Crystal Clear Lens, Monday 5th January,2009. No 0155:
Fellow Ghanaians let us give thanks to the Almighty for seeing us through this years general election.
I want to thank you for giving me the mandate to manage the affairs of state after January 7th 2009. I accept the onerous responsibility with all humility. We have travelled a tough road to get here. I am very much aware of the anxious moments, sleepless nights, long-down days and tension-filled hours that we have needlessly had to endure. Your enduring spirit and resilence has made it possible for your will to remain supreme.
This year's elections featured many candidates representing various parties. The final leg invovled me and Nana Addo, a worthy son of our Nation. I will congratulate him and all others for a keenly fought contest.
The election is over and there is only one Ghana; I renew my pledge that I will be President of all Ghanaians.
I thank the Electoral Commissioner and His team for guiding the nation through a very tough electoral process.
I also thank the Security agencies for the important role they have played in the process. The media deserve our commendation for helping Ghanaians keep close eye on the election.
President John Agyekum Kuffour has no small way helped broaden Ghana's democratic dispensation. And his willingness to hand over to me come Wednesday, January o7, 2009, is a plus to him personally and to Ghana as a Nation. I congratulate President Kuffour.
Members of the NDC have cause to celebrate but I am appealing them be extremely moderate and circumspect and not be provpcative in their actions. Change has also come to Ghana; let us all embrace it and forge ahead together with a common sense of purpose. Let us all put our shoulders to the wheel and begin to build a Better Ghana. May God continue to bless our homeland Ghana and make Her great and strong.

No comments: